Thursday, March 31, 2011

The Key to the Literary Kingdom

Behold my very first library card:

Vintage.

I haven't traded this card in for a newer version because of sentimental attachment. Also, I'm curious as to how long my hometown library will let me keep this one before it becomes too antiquated for their computer system to handle. Could I really still be successfully using the card I got when I was four at age 92? Guinness doesn't appear to have a world record for that kind of thing.

(But if you happened to be wondering what the largest library fine ever paid for an overdue book is, it's $345.14.)

As a lifelong library frequenter, one of the first things I usually do when I move to a new place is get a local card, so I ventured over to the Steele Memorial Library to see what it's all about.


Here are a few of the things that I particularly enjoy about this library, aside from its obviously vast reading selection:

1. There is a giant chess set. I was jazzed enough to come about this close to playing a game against myself on it, but that'd look weird, right?


2. Art. There are several unique pieces and collections to check out.


3. It's easy to find stuff to do. There's a multitude of family and children's events, clubs (Scrabble!), films, book discussions and computer classes going on within the Chemung County Library District, and they're all continuously listed on its Facebook news feed.

4. Film selection. I am a movie junkie.



I mean, take a moment to appreciate the sheer range here. You've got Brando (The Wild One), indies (Junebug), blasts from television shows past (Murphy Brown and The Waltons), teenybopper fare (John Tucker Must Die), sports tales (We Are Marshall), musicals (Jesus Christ Superstar), eighties classics (Labyrinth), and eighties movies that traumatized you for life even though you didn't watch them until you were in college (The Dark Crystal. Frightening, frightening muppets. For real. Check it out.). In short, something for everyone.

5. The map in the Children's Section. It highlights current world conflicts, so kids can be aware of where the events they're hearing about are happening, which I just thought was a good idea.


6. Local history info. Want to know who was living around here in, say, 1938? You're covered.


7. It's got a GREEN roof.

Yes, that is actual plant life up there.

Since this is a little newer than I like my library cards, guess I better start breaking it in, eh?

                                                      
Steele Memorial Library, 101 E. Church St., Elmira, NY 14901

No comments:

Post a Comment