Friday, May 13, 2011

Just Like Riding a Bike

This week, I decided to determine just how much truth there is to the age-old saying, "It's just like riding a bike." And I mean put it to the test in the most literal way possible, because prior to this week, I hadn't been on a bike in probably ten to fifteen years. And my plan was to ride one.

This undertaking was inspired by hearing that Elmira's Painted Lady, a local bed and breakfast, is loaning out free bikes (with helmets) for adults and kids, an opportunity that isn't limited to guests. Anybody can take one out to enjoy the beautiful weather we've been having lately, explore different facets of Elmira, and get some exercise all at the same time.

By the way, should you stop by The Painted Lady to take advantage of this program, make sure you take a peek inside. It's a beautiful place to stay or recommend to friends or family coming into town, and Butch and Marilyn Monroe make their guests feel right at home:

I love the tree out front.

Original stained glass windows.


The bikes are kept in a shed of their own out in back, all of which was provided by the Southern Tier Bike Association; you just have to ask for permission to take one out:

I was the very first person to sign a bike out!

Before I got on, though, I couldn't help but do a mental calculation. Statistical analysis and I don't tend to make nice, generally speaking, but I wasn't sure how I felt about my chances of not taking a header. I did shun the Bike Gods for an awfully long time. Plus, my problem-solving-on-wheels skills aren't exactly what I'd call up to par (I can't stop on rollerblades, folks. I've been running myself into the grass for years.)

But that saying about riding a bike? True. It all came back. At which point, I was able to enjoy a ride around the Near Westside Historic District, where you can appreciate the unique architecture of the houses up close, as well as all of the trees in bloom.


Apparently, while I was coasting around on all of the sidewalks so proud of myself for not falling off, I was also committing a criminal offense. Turns out that it's illegal to bike on the sidewalks in Elmira. Which had I known that at the time, I would have sung what surely would have been a stirring rendition of Styx's "Renegade" as I pedaled along. Alas, not to be.


When I thought about it, though, taking to the streets is the smoother option because some of the sidewalk panels tend to jut upward. The Painted Lady has handy pamphlets on bicycle safety that teach you how to safely share the road with cars, but there are also plenty of places to ride that are low-traffic, plus plenty of crosswalks to utilize.

Another place I'd heard about for biking is on the paths down by the Chemung River, which I decided to attempt even though I was about 88.39% sure that I wasn't quite prepared for off-roading.

(Plus, I'd taken out a different bike this time, one that turned out to bear the name "Mt. Fury Roadmaster." Come on. That's setting the ol' bar kind of high, right?)

Jim Pfiffer of Friends of the Chemung River Watershed was kind enough to show me several user-friendly places to bike, though, starting with traversing the tops of the levees, where there is a path so worn that it's an easygoing, pretty ride.


It's also an intriguing ride if you're interested in history. Check out the information available in front of the nearby Elmira Water Board building on the Civil War prison camp, because you can ride where it used to be. Also, on the trails in the woods, you can see several remnants of historical cottages that people used to reside in close to the water.


My favorite part of riding by the river was getting to bike in places that were both close to the water and next to these meadows. The trails here weren't even purposefully created; they were simply made by people wearing them in.


There are also several trail options within the woods to explore. And if there happened to be a particular spot that looked a little beyond my riding level, I just hopped off and walked the bike over it.

There are all sorts of places to stop and admire the view of the water, or to fish. Jim also mentioned the possibility of, only when the water is way down and safely shallow, putting lawn chairs out and sitting in the river.

 The Town of Elmira's Boat Launch.

Riding like the wind.

Lots of people have to trek to be able to find places like this, where you can get out into nature. In Elmira, though, all of this is conveniently right next to civilization. And it's just as quiet as if you'd driven far away somewhere.

Plus, all of this is FREE.

Beginning in July, The Christmas House, located at 361 Maple Avenue, will also be participating in this program, which is great because depending on where you're interested in riding, you'll have two options in completely different parts of town.

Borrow a bikeTurns out I was glad that I did.

Elmira's Painted Lady, 520 West Water Street, Elmira, NY 14905,
(607) 846-3500, www.elmiraspaintedlady.com,
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elmiras-Painted-Lady-Bed-and-Breakfast/119445837017

Friends of the Chemung River Watershed, 111 N. Main Street, Elmira, NY 14901, (607) 846-2242, www.chemungriverfriends.org, http://www.facebook.com/ChemungRiver

No comments:

Post a Comment