Thursday, July 14, 2011

Painting the Town

Let me tell you something about my artistic background - it's pretty much nonexistent. Aside from the obligatory grade school classes, I only took one painting and one ceramics class in college. And I took them pass/fail, because I suspected that my G.P.A. would not appreciate an actual letter grade from either.

That has never meant that I don't enjoy artistic pursuits, though, which is why I was excited about Elmira Downtown Development's Street Painting Festival, held annually in July.

Early morning beginnings.


The whole premise of the festival reminded me a little of that great scene in "Mary Poppins" when Dick Van Dyke is working as a sidewalk artist and then they all jump into one of his drawings? So I had decided to give street painting a try, just for fun.

When I told my father that I thought I was undoubtedly in over my head considering all of the incredible artists who do this, his response was, "Well, anything you draw is going to be better than what was there before, right?"

Touché. 

If you want to be an artist, the process is not only free and open to all ages, but simple. You just turn in an application with a sketch of what you plan to draw.

Elmira Downtown Development supplies the chalk (including extra if you need it) and a very helpful tent for artists with snacks, water and paint. Also supplied is a list of items to consider bringing along, including rags, brushes, a tarp to cover your drawing overnight, etc.

I set up camp at Square #29 on W. Water Street, where I opted to prime the area with the tempera paint.


Here's what I learned about keeping comfortable out on the hot street all day Saturday, and for some artists, most of the day Sunday as well. It's totally doable if you have something to kneel or sit on (some folks rocked the knee pads, I went with a gym mat), tons of water, and above all else:


Going into this, I thought maybe I could get by with just a hat and loads of sunscreen? Some braver souls than I certainly did. But being as how I once got second-degree burns on my arms from sitting on a beach on an overcast day in Rhode Island, I went the umbrella route, and highly recommend it.

I decided to draw bubbles because it'd been suggested to me that something with a pattern might be easiest for my first time street painting. (These bubbles were actually the first thing I learned to paint in that one class; we started with them to learn about shading and dimensionality.)


I had fun doing the actual drawing, but the other part of being a street painter that I enjoyed was all of the people who stopped by to chat. Many observed or commented as they walked, but I also got to have a bunch of different conversations with folks I otherwise might never have met.

Incidentally, people also had all sorts of interpretations of what these orbs were, including planets, marbles and, my personal favorite, "space balls." Also known as a late-eighties Mel Brooks "Star Wars" spoof.

A few people teased that tracing buckets was shattering the illusion 
that I had the talent to draw circles that well freehand ;)


Bands that played throughout the afternoon provided a nice soundtrack to draw to, and on breaks I walked around to check out the vendors. (The festival also featured a well-attended evening concert in Wisner Park with The Town Pants.)


I went back on Sunday to take a look at the finished products of the other artists. The range and quality of which I think speak for themselves:

Marvin the Martian maintaining relevance today makes me happy.

"Duck Tales, whoo-ooh!

The winner

Matt Dunn, the Youth Award winner, was drawing across the street from me. Only 13 years old.


So when the Street Painting Festival rolls around next year, don't be afraid to jump in on the artistic action. Or just come down and enjoy a dual celebration of creativity and the community.


5 comments:

  1. Impressive skills with the chalk - congratulations to all the artists!

    ReplyDelete
  2. loved the bubbles

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks everyone! I had a lot of fun with this; it's a unique event and great for downtown.

    ReplyDelete