Friday, April 15, 2011

♫ "You can always go...downtown" ♫

Last summer, a friend sent me this picture from the Elmira Street Painting Festival:

That's right, OK is OK :)

I went to school for a year at Oklahoma State, and trust me when I say that New York and Oklahoma? Not a whole lot in common. The many differences include landscape, tornado frequency, ability to function in the snow - or "snow" - and, perhaps my personal favorite, mascot selection:
                                                                                                                        
   Pistol Pete is clearly not a New York State resident.
    
So, seeing an homage to "The Sooner State" on the streets of Elmira made me smile. And when I moved here, it made me want to check out not only the festival, which will be held the weekend of July 9th and 10th, but its fundraiser, "A Taste of Downtown," which took place Thursday at the Arnot Art Museum. Both events are headed up by Elmira Downtown Development:


One of the most significant things I've learned since moving back is that Downtown Elmira has a lot more to offer than I ever realized while I was in school here. I didn't venture downtown a whole lot during those four years; I was operating under the egregious misconception that there was just not much doing.

Quite the contrary, folks. A strikingly interesting mix of newer and older ventures, and incredibly welcoming people, are easily found there if you take the time to look.

Um, not to mention the food:

Tomato brushetta crostini from the Holiday Inn Riverview. 

 Express Café and Bakery's spread.

 Global Gourmet.

 Checking out a tasty prosciutto and arugula on flatbread creation from Charlie's Cafe.

 Crème brulée with pistachios from Katie's Café on the left.

And the "Taste" part of "A Taste of Downtown" wasn't all literal; a wide variety of businesses were present to share about their services:

LaVere Media. 

Toughpups and Pampered Princesses. 

I just really enjoy this. 

Locally made jewelry from Nectar Floral Studio.

 Cagwin Photography.

 Treu Office Supply & Furniture.

In addition to visiting, eating and enjoying some wine, you could also attend Elmira Downtown's Annual Meeting, check out Riverfront Park plans, listen to the tunes of John Manfredi and bid on a number of silent auction items:


All in all, it was a great opportunity to get a sampling of what Downtown Elmira is actually all about, and to support filling its streets with art this summer.

I may have once had an art teacher who took one look at my first attempt at painting and asked me if I wanted to drop his class, but by God, I'm still psyched to potentially take to the chalks.


Elmira Downtown Development, 400 E. Church Street, Elmira, NY 14901
(607) 734-0341, http://www.elmiradowntown.com/, 


No comments:

Post a Comment